Aug 14, 2010

Cicada in Our House

A large bug zoomed past me while I was outside on the deck.  It didn't seem to know how to fly yet, for it kept hitting the wall of the house.  It turned out it was a freshly emerged cicada.  I took it inside to show the family and noticed that Heidi and Lisa were still taking their showers.  So I let the cicada learn to fly in their room.  Now these girls are not exactly bug-lovers, so imagine their screams when they entered their room to find a loud buzzing, flying thing in there!   I pretended not to know what bug they were talking about (they are always talking about bugs they are afraid of) and it took us several minutes to find the cicada.  It had somehow landed in a small crowded box filled with origami.  It was in their like a straw in a glass with it's face and eyes upward.  It reminded me of E.T. hiding in the closet.  It was as still as a statue the whole time I was looking for it.  Later we played with it (everyone except Heidi and Lisa, that is) and let it go.  There's no telling how scared that poor bug was of those girls.  Ha! Ha!

No comments:

Post a Comment