Jan 24, 2008

A Japanese Love Song I Like

When you think of romantic music videos, probably the Japanese are not the first folks to come to mind. But I like this one. Tell me what you think. Back in the 90s, when Duk-Sun and I lived in Japan, this was a popular love song we knew. I would sing it for her in karaoke clubs.

So why this kind of post now?

Duk-Sun and I are about to go on a marriage enrichment weekend at Jekyll Island. It's the first time in 7 months we've been alone together without kids. (Thank you, Parents!) I thought I'd share this romantic melody with my friends and family. I'll translate the lyrics when I get time. Okay, I've got to put the last line in now. I don't know of a similar English song, but the words to this one are so sweet and innocent. It's a love song for a young couple and the couple in the video do a good job of capturing the mood of the lyrics. Hope you enjoy it.

Oh, I almost forgot--This was Yutaka Ozaki's greatest hit. The sad but interesting thing is it was published after his death. He died of a lung problem at age 26, and left behind a wife and son.

Japanese
(top line – Japanese characters)
(bottom line – Romaji, or Romanized Japanese)



English Translation

こんなにも騒がしい
Konna ni mo sawagashii

I see you there, standing alone

町並みにたたずむ君は
machinami ni tatazumu kimi wa

on this busy street at night

とても小さくとても寒がりで
Totemo chisaku tottemo samugari de

so small and cute, and looking cold

泣き虫な女の子さ
nakimushina onna no ko sa

almost ready to cry

街角のラブソングくちずさんで
Machikado no Love Song kuchizusan de

You hum a street corner love song to yourself

ちょっぴり僕に微笑みながら
choppiri boku ni hohoemi nagara

You glance my way and smile

凍えた体そっと摺り寄せて
Kogoeta karada sotto suriyosete

and slip a little closer to me

君はくちずけせがむんだ
kimi wa kuchizuke segamun da

and pester me for a kiss

Oh My Little Girl

Oh, my little girl

暖めてあげよう
atatamete ageyou

I’ll keep you warm

Oh My Little Girl

Oh, my little girl

こんなにも愛してる
konna ni mo aishiteru

I love you so much

Oh My Little Girl

Oh, my little girl

二人たそがれに片寄せ歩きながら
Futari tasogare ni kata yose aruki nagara

As the two of us walk at dusk in a warm embrace

いつまでも、いつまでも、
Itsumademo itsumademo

We’ll be like this forever

離れられないでいるよ
Hanarerarenaide iru yo

never able to leave each other.

君の髪を撫でながら 
Kimi no kami wo nade nagara

As I stroke your hair

ぼんやりと君を見てるよ
bonyari to kimi o miteru yo

and stare at you in a daze

甘えた声で無弱に笑う
Amaeta koe de mujyaki ni warau

You laugh innocently in a sweet voice

僕の腕に包まれた君を
boku no ude ni tsutsumareta kimi o

wrapped up in my arms

Oh My Little Girl

Oh, my little girl

素敵な君だけを
suteki na kimi dake o

You’re the one for me

Oh My Little Girl

Oh, my little girl

こんなにも愛してる
konna ni mo aishiteru

I love you so much

Oh My Little Girl

Oh, my little girl

冷たい風が二人の体擦り抜け
Tsumetai kaze ga futari no karada
 surinuke

The cold wind blows around our bodies

いつまでも、いつまでも、
Itsumademo itsumademo

Never, ever

離れられなくさせるよ
hanarerare nakusaseru yo

I’ll make it so we are never apart

Oh My Little Girl

Oh, my little girl

暖めてあげよう
atatamete age you

I’ll keep you warm

Oh My Little Girl

Oh, my little girl

こんなにも愛してる
konna ni mo aishiteru

I love you so much

Oh My Little Girl

Oh, my little girl

二人たそがれに片寄せ歩きながら
Futari tasogare ni kata yose aruki nagara

As the two of us walk at dusk in a warm embrace

いつまでも、いつまでも、
Itsumademo itsumademo

Never, ever

離れないと誓うんだ
hanarenai to chikaunda

I promise I’ll never leave you

No comments:

Post a Comment